Special Indian food cooked with rice,vegetables and spices. Great feast for the Vegetarians.
Upload recipe photo
Please rate it
Preparation Time : 20-30 mins
Cooking Time : 1hr - 1 1/2hrs
Serves : 8-10 people
Basmati Rice - 1kg or 4 of 250ml teacup
Potato chopped into big cubes - 1 medium
Carrot chopped into big cubes - 1 medium
Peas - 100g
Beans sliced- 100g
Cauliflower Florets - 100g
Butter Beans - 100g (optional)
Beetroot - 1/2 medium (optional)
Green pepper (Capsicum) - 1/2 medium (optional)
Oil - 250ml
Onion - 2 large or 400g
Tomatoes - 5 medium or 500 g
Green Chilli - 6-8
Ginger-Garlic paste - 6 tblsp or 120g
Mint leaves chopped - 4 tblsp
Coriander leaves chopped - 4 tblsp
Chilli Powder - 1tsp
Cinnamon - 1 medium strip
Cardamom - 2
Cloves - 2-3
Ghee - 1 tblsp
Yoghurt (Curd) - 4 tblsp
Water - as required
Lemon juice - 30 ml or 2 tblsp
Salt - to taste
- Chop all the onion, tomatoes, vegetables and herbs. Slit the chilli.
- Rinse and soak the rice in water for about 12-15 minutes.
- Heat a 7.5-8 litre pan on a stove and add all the oil.
- Add cinnamon, cloves and cardamom and fry for about a minute.
- Add chopped onion to the oil and stir on a medium heat or until they become light brown.
- Add chillies and ginger-garlic paste and fry for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables except the peas and capsicum; fry for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, herbs, capsicum and chilli powder; stir and let it cook for about 6-8 minutes.
- Add salt and yoghurt and stir for about 1-2 minutes.
- Add about 1.75 ltrs of water to the pan of vegetables.
- When the water starts boiling, drain the rice with the filter and add it to the pan.
- Add salt again if it is not enough and a tblsp of ghee. Stir slightly.
- Spread the lemon juice over the top.
- Cover and seal tightly and cook for about 25-30 minutes.
- Add peas just before 5 minutes of switching off the heat.
- Once the rice is fluffy and cooked, switch off the stove.
- Vegetable Biriyani is ready to be eaten.
If you use different ingredients than the ones used in this recipe or use alternate method, please click Here to post your variation.